Halkidiki is known for gorgeous landscapes, stunning beaches, and rich history. Halkidiki is also rich in religious history, featuring beautiful historic churches. Check out historical, old churches you must visit in Kassandra, Halkidiki.
If you are familiar with Halkidiki, you might be aware of the secluded monastic community of Mount Athos. The Holy Land of Mount Athos is evidence of the rich religious history of the region. However, it is not the only evidence.
Halkidiki has a plethora of beautiful surviving churches from the early Christian period. You will find churches with unique architecture and beauty all around the region.
With handmade wooden dashboards and unique historical icons and paintings, the temples and churches of Halkidiki are unique and beautiful and will definitely amaze you.
Here is a list of historic churches in Kassandra, Halkidiki:
- The church of Taxiarches: Located one km southeast of the settlement of Potidea, it was built in 1872 with materials taken from the site of ancient Potidaea.
- The church of Agios Demetrios: Built in 1858, is located in the square of the village of Afitos. Its unique basilica-style architecture is evident with the prominent dome.
- The chapel of Panagia Faneromeni: Located 2 km east of the village, dates back to the 16th century. Its location features breathtaking views of the beach. The chapel has gorgeous molars along with the miraculous icon of the Virgin Mary.
- The chapel of the Holy Virgin: Located just one km northwest of the village of Kalandra, the chapel features fine frescoes dating from 1619.
- The chapel of Agios Panteleimon: This small and lovely chapel, located in the village of Kallithea, hosts unique murals.
These are only just a few of the historic churches you can find in Halkidiki.
There are plenty in other regions such as Sithonia, Athos region, and central Halkidiki. Nevertheless, during your stay at Porto Valitsa, make sure to visit these beautiful old and historic churches and chapels.